Monday, January 25, 2010

Religious sustainability??

As we think about social justice and mission around the world, particularly in light of the Haiti situation, I find myself wondering more and more about churches and sustainability... and churches and natural parenting... and supporting families and communities intelligently and deeply in ecological sustainability in their choices.

What I am talking about goes beyond salad window boxes and changing light bulbs, although that is an excellent place to start. How do we support breastfeeding, organic/local foods, energy efficiency, cloth diapers, re-use fashion, and community integration into food and child care and education systems? Dare we? What role does God play in this? What role do churches play?

Any thoughts?

2 comments:

Elsa said...

Erica! Great question, and I am far from an expert, but I'd look towards the Unitarians or the Buddhists first. :) Elsa

EricaLeigh said...

I agree. I am working on a curriculum for a southern United Methodist Church with more conservative leanings that is working in an inner-city area, around food/gardening for school breaks, and for working in an organic bent. Trying not to tread on toes, but still stick to my guns, and wondering where that line is...